Monday, July 16, 2007

delightful, yet harmful

The best way to describe me is simply human. I have good intentions, yet easily fail to embrace the objective goodness in life. I am a hypocrite because at the core of my optimistic heart lies a cynical being. There is a person inside me who wants to rejoice in love, yet I ignore that person and sulk in the pain of remorse. I want nothing more than to enjoy every moment of every day, but it is by my own actions that enjoyment ceases to prosper.

While this all seems very somber, it couldn't be any closer to the truth. I am imperfect. Every human being is. You may be asking yourself, what about the whole lecture on embracing goodness and suppressing the bad? This is certainly an honorable question. But perhaps this isn't as contradictory as it seems.

What exactly do I mean? Well, the premise of my former post is namely the negativity of others. Dwelling on somebody else's harmful demeanor will get you nowhere. It is in such cases that said negativity should be suppressed. On the other hand, the premise of this post is the negativity in you and me. See, we can't do anything about the shortcomings of others, but we can accept our own flaws and seek to change them. Once we can highlight our imperfections, we can take it upon ourselves to remedy the situation. So while these words sound real 'gloom and doom', there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is up to us to take the first step.

Inspired by a co-worker, this last question follows well from the analysis above. What could a human being ever do to deserve perfect love?

2 comments:

ezekiel said...

tough question...

Evalinn said...

What a great post, and how well u handle words!

U can never deserve love, it's nothing u earn, just something u can give and receive. Receiving is probably the hardest part.